Mar 26, 2011

Kuristina's FAQs

Hello=

eeek, wwwaa. I am asked so much questions here. Some are similar and I've answered them but it keeps coming so in case I have not answered or forgot to, I will make this page as reference. (I do monitor emails coming:)


Q. Do you train Kyokushin?
A. I trained 4 times a week or more for 6 years. I graded to Ikkyu (Brown belt) under the scrutiny of the grading panel- yes, I did not get any special treatments (--#. Now I  train once a week privately with my husband (Kancho Y. Suzuki) and practice yoga rest of the week.



Q. Is Honbu open (to the public)?
A. Not at this time. We originally had  memorial hall dedicated to Sosai but when things started missing, we felt the respect and manners were mutually exclusive to some training!!! :(



Q. What was Sosai like as a father?
A. Honestly he was a doting father just like all Dad's... just different kind of day-job. LOL. I respected his life a lot though, even as a very young girl. I recall that sense of awe towards him and his students.



Q. How many siblings do you have?
A. I am the youngest of four. But two already are in Heaven with Sosai and mother.:)



Q. Who chose the name Oyama?
A. By the time I was born, my father was Japanese nationality and had the Oyama name. I did not even know he was Korean descent until he passed.

Mori Matsuhei (politician and his picture is on the World Map of Kyokushin in the70's), my father's "Japanese father",  registered my father and mother's name under Oyama and in 1964, he took Japanese nationality.

(For clarity, my mother's side of the family is from Japan. Niigata and Yamanashi)


Q. Do you like any other Kyokushin groups?
A. Depends on the person, not the group! lol. Although their choice can pretty much sum up their basic character - I think.



Q. Do you think Kyokushin will be one again? 
The answer to that largely depends on what the intent is. My answer went thru 3 phases!:))
First I thought only one, then it became perhaps "to each their own", then now I see glimpse of other factors... but the bottom line is, regardless of what we do- Sosai's love for Kyokushin/ Karate and dedication/ contribution to the world will not wane or fade.



Q. Why are you a vegetarian?
A. Not for religious reasons. Living in NYC, I was a very strict vegan for 5, 6 years. My parents did not give me any meat until I was 5 yrs old. Then I had pretty normal to horrifying diet :)p  Then I started to take nutrition more seriously. Doing karate /yoga, you really need to know what your body can digest.



Q. What kind of person do you dislike?
A. I used to say people with big egos. I have changed my mind since then. I think as long as one can deliver results, big ego is fine. I do not like fake people. Dishonest people. I can't stand disloyal people. Which is the reason why we weeded out branch chiefs (Japan) in 2009. Two remained and they are both loyal.



Q. Are you joining KWF? 
A. I don't think join is the word.  I think they are all wanting to support us. On a personal note-, I have given much credit to Mr. L. Hollander. I hardly hear anything nice about him, but for a man his age to fly across the continent to see us and apologize, is amazing. Great foot work. Not many can be that decisive.



Q. Can you train with contact lenses? 
 Maybe not sparring.... but blurred vision might help sharpen other sense? :)



Q. Can we wear make-up during karate class?
A. I hope you are not a boy asking this... lol. I won't recommend it. If you are coming to class after work, just wipe some off. The foundation on white gi is not pretty. :(



Q. Do you teach yoga? Where can I take classes?
A. Yes I do but because I travel often, I only do private lessons.



Q. Do yo have a twitter?
A. Yes. It is twitter.com/ kuristinaoyama



Q. It is hard to take after your father? 
A. I don't take it too seriously. It is and should be about him (Sosai), not me.
I truly respect and love what he stood for. I always joke that if he had been a F1 racer, I would love cars!




Q. Anything you can share about Sosai? That not many know about?
A. He played Japanese flute. He loved to sing. And he loved twisted donut from Pompador Bakery.





Q. When did you start Yoga? What inspired you? 
A. Amazingly, it was Sosai who recommended I try yoga.

I was 19 and quite sickly- when your body is un-well with no specific cause it can really diminish your internal strength. He said my body is too weak to handle stress of any kind, which was very true.

Around this time, I moved downtown (NY) and found a job in a health food store which was owned by a Yoga Institute. That is how I started but I took it as my way of life much later on (^^)/.






Q. What is the best piece of advice from you father, Sosai Masutatsu Oyama? 
A. You can fight for what you believe in.
      If you don't have any shadows, you are not standing in the light.
      Never neglect your Self, your instincts.
      Always do your best and don't hide in regret.
      Love what you do.

I just have so many but mostly his life itself spoke volumes to me. He was just so diligent and dedicated to what he loved, over came obstacles which is so hard for us to imagine now.





Q. Are you open to people moving in from another group? 
A. The answer again depends on the person- not the group. But it is easier to assess if the person is someone I know or has referral from a mutual friend.









---will be frequently updated (hopefully~)